Since my last post I have been rather busy and have failed to keep my blog updated. In addition to all my other Crow’s Eye Productions work, my daughter Kate had asked me to make her wedding dress!
It was a year in the making. Kate designed the dress. We purchased the fabric, a beautiful draping silk fabric, on a trip to London last winter, and in January I started with the first toile. Once we were happy with the cut, I then made a version in some cheap fabric, to see if the design was working, and then again to test different details and sleeve options. I also tried three different finish techniques on the seams and hems, before I applied them to the finished dress, to make sure it was all to the highest standard. Six fittings later and the dress was done, one week before the wedding!
Kate also made the ties for the wedding party including her husband Tom’s. So I took a tiny detail from the Liberty silk she used and sewed it into the petticoat of her wedding dress, along with some vintage lace for the something old and something blue.